Are you wondering…what is the cost of the Amazon Prime discount for seniors?
You’re in the right place!
That’s what we’re exploring in this article, along with the info about the Amazon Prime cost 2023, requirements, benefits, and more.
Yes, Amazon Prime for seniors is discounted if you have government assistance.
Plus, it’s a seriously fantastic membership with TONS of benefits worth checking out.
Amazon’s paid membership service offers so many unique features everyone can benefit from having an Amazon Prime subscription.
Let’s get started!
Need help? Here are step-by-step instructions on how to sign up.
How Much is Amazon Prime for Seniors?
How much is Amazon Prime with the senior discount?
The monthly cost for seniors is $6.99, which is more affordable than the regular price of $14.99.
This discount applies to senior citizens enrolled in a government assistance program, such as TANF, SNAP, Medicaid, WIC, or SSI.
Eligibility Requirements for the Discount
To be eligible for this awesome Amazon Prime senior discount, there is really only one requirement.
You must be a recipient of an eligible form of government assistance.
Since this is the case, anyone who receives this type of government assistance could technically be approved for this Amazon Prime discount.
Here are the qualifying government assistance programs:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, EBT, or food stamps)
- Women, Infants & Children Program (WIC)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
While they call this an Amazon senior discount, it really is just a discounted price for any person receiving government assistance such as the SNAP or food stamps benefits listed above.
How Does It Work with EBT?
To sign up for an Amazon Prime membership with your EBT account, you pretty much enter your account number and upload a photo of your valid EBT card.
It’s pretty simple!
We’ll go through the step-by-step below to walk you through it.
Is It Different for Medicaid Members?
If you’d like to use your Medicaid card instead, it’s the same process.
You’ll enter your information, they’ll verify your login, and you’re good to go.
We’ll also walk you through this to make sure it’s as simple as possible.
How Much is Amazon Prime for Seniors with AARP
Currently, seniors with an AARP membership cannot access a discount with Amazon Prime.
We checked directly with AARP to verify they do not offer a discount for Amazon Prime members.
Benefits of Amazon Prime Membership for Seniors
There are SO MANY Amazon Prime benefits, it’s unbelievable.
Here are some of the best membership benefits:
- Free same-day delivery, next day free shipping, or Prime two-day shipping (depending on the item)
- Same-day delivery from Whole Foods (sometimes even within 2 hours!); Prime members also receive a 10% discount on sale items & select weekly best sellers
- Access to grocery delivery with Amazon Fresh (basically a large online grocery store) with same-day or next-day delivery options for Amazon Prime members
- Prime Pantry access (grocery items discounted from regular price with a minimum purchase)
- Subscribe & Save (eligible purchases delivered at regular intervals with a Prime membership discount of up to 15%
- Pay with SNAP EBT on Amazon (use your valid EBT card to pay for eligible grocery purchases!)
- Amazon Prime video access – Prime video members have access to video and movie streaming that includes ad-free access, free exclusive content, and thousands of options (Prime video has both free & additional paid options)
- Amazon Prime music access (also ad-free)
- Free Twitch channel subscription (a video game streaming site)
- Prime reading on the Kindle app (mobile app for reading)
- Washington Post free trial (six-month free trial) for every Prime member
- Access to Amazon Pay (payment method with Prime benefits of cashback & discounts from regular price on certain items)
- Unlimited photo storage & 5GB video storage
- Access to exclusive savings with coupon discounts that automatically apply at checkout for Amazon Prime members
Why Do They Offer an Amazon Prime Discount for Seniors?
Why does Amazon offer an Amazon Prime membership at a senior discount?
The Amazon Prime senior discount makes Amazon more accessible to everyone, no matter what their financial situation is.
The more, the merrier!
Whether you’re doing your Christmas shopping or shopping for yourself throughout the year, Amazon wants to make sure that Amazon services are doable even on a tight budget.
That’s why Amazon offers senior citizen discounts such as this one; to offer something beneficial and inspiring for everyone!
Plus, as mentioned above, this discount isn’t just available as a strictly senior discount.
It’s available to anyone receiving aid from qualifying government assistance programs.
So those exciting Amazon Prime benefits can be used by anyone needing a little extra help paying for the Prime membership, including seniors.
How to Sign Up With the Amazon Prime Discount for Seniors
Okay, so you want Amazon Prime and qualify for the senior discount.
Thankfully the process is pretty simple 🙂
First, you’ll want to check out Amazon Prime free for a trial period of 30 days to see if it’s something you like and will use enough to justify the cost.
And signing up is super easy!
Here’s what to do to get the Prime membership rolling (with the discount):
- Sign up for an Amazon Prime free 30-day trial if you haven’t already signed up.
- After the trial period ends, visit the Amazon Qualify Page (that is the Amazon Prime discount site) to get signed up for your Amazon Prime discount.
- Enter your information when prompted, which should include providing your food stamps or Medicaid card number (or WIC/TANF) and uploading an image of the card.
- When you finish the process, Amazon must check your card information to ensure you qualify for the senior discount. This typically takes about 3 business days.
- Once the review has been finished, you’ll see your Amazon Prime EBT discount appear in your account (your membership fee will show as half of the usual).
- This Amazon discount lasts for 12 months, at which point you can renew it by verifying your card information and uploading the card image before those 12 months expire each year.
And that’s it!
That’s all that’s needed to start enjoying the benefits of Prime members with the senior citizen discount.
Making Changes to Your Amazon Prime Membership for Seniors
If you need to make any changes to your Amazon Prime account, they have a fabulous self-serve section in their website’s ‘Your Account’ section when you log in.
If your issue extends beyond that, feel free to contact customer service.
Prime members can access various customer service forms, including phone and chat.
Want to take care of it yourself?
- Go to your Amazon Prime membership page
- Select ‘Update’
- Continue the prompts based on the type of update you wish to make
How to Cancel the Amazon Prime Senior Discount
If you want to cancel your Amazon Prime discount, your best bet is to contact customer service to reset your Amazon Prime cost to the regular rate.
If you want to keep your Amazon account but no longer want to be a Prime member, you can easily end your Amazon Prime membership through the account portal online.
- Go to your Amazon Prime membership page
- Select ‘Cancel’
Deleting Your Entire Amazon Account? Here’s How.
Want to delete not just your Amazon Prime membership but your entire account?
This is a more intensive process, although not difficult.
Here are the steps:
- Go to the ‘Close Your Amazon Account’ page.
- Log into the appropriate account.
- At the bottom of the page, scroll down using the drop-down menu and choose your reason for closing your account.
- You’ll see a prompt for ‘Yes, I want to permanently close my Amazon account and delete my data;’ check the box next to this statement.
- You’ll receive an email or text message link to confirm this action.
- In this confirmation, a link will be labeled ‘Confirm Account Closure;’ click this to finalize the process.
Amazon.com Prime Cost FAQs
Is There an Amazon Prime Discount for AARP?
AARP is a non-profit organization that provides benefits and services to people who are 50 years of age or older. As a member benefit, they have partnered with Amazon to offer a discount on Amazon Prime. AARP members can receive $40 off the regular annual membership price of $119, which would make their annual cost $79. This discount is available to new and renewing members but cannot be combined with other Amazon Prime offers. To take advantage of this offer, AARP members must sign up for Amazon Prime through the AARP website.
Is the Amazon Prime Discount for Seniors in Canada the Same?
No, the Amazon Prime discount for seniors in Canada varies and is subject to change. It’s recommended to check Amazon’s website for the current offer details.
Is There an Amazon Prime Free Trial?
Yes, an Amazon Prime free trial is available for new subscribers and anyone who has not had a paid or trial membership in the last 12 months. The free trial period lasts for 30 days, during which you can enjoy free two-day shipping, Prime Video, and Prime Music.